Register

The Zodiac's psychological profile

The investigation, agencies, DNA, profiling, the composite, and investigator's past and present.

Moderators: Michael Butterfield, Aud8us

Level 3

The Zodiac's psychological profile

Postby Sam » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:32 am

First of all, I would like to apologize for the grammar shortcomings. I couldn't spend much time on the translation.
OK now, let's go.

External appearance (circa 1969)

Height: 5'9''-6'0''
Weight: 175-195 lbs

appearance: white male, medium height, stocky builded, with dark brown hair (which in the light of day may fall into reddish brown)

Psychological profile

- A loner, without any closer family (no wife and children)
- No siblings or not maintaining close contact with them
- Perhaps stemming from a dysfunctional family (may been raised by the mother)
- An individual with some above-average degree of intelligence
- Having all the characteristics of antisocial personality disorder
- Feeling bad among the people, but capable of hiding it
- An individual not capable to maintain healthy relationship because of the lack of respective patterns from childhood
- Probably never been in a partner. relationship
- Individual that were probably not enjoying much popularity within his youth
- Probably affected by anhedonia (partial loss of ability to feel pleasure)
- Individual feeling the strong prejudice against females (misogyny)
- Performing an unsatisfactory job
- Looking for strong impressions (anhedonia)
- Feels an aversion to the law enforcement agencies (mostly to the police), which probable cause may be his earlier trouble with the law and/or unfulfilled dream of being a police officer (perhaps he made an application but has not been commissioned)
- Probably having a military background
- An individual with a high degree of so-called social intelligence
- Having awareness of proper behavior to manipulate (exerting influence on other people)
- One that could have consciously imaginated an alter ego in order to dump the blame on it (not guilt)
- Not having a sense of guilt or remorse (antisocial personality disorder)
- With strong self-esteem, feels superiority over other people, produced from the sense of being underestimated
- Having a desire to make "something big" in his own opinion
- Probably inspired by the case of Jack the Ripper, and wanted to do a "similar thing" and this way enroll in the history of true crime
- Egocentric personality (selfish - which also comes directly from his antisocial personality disorder)
- Showing a very arbitrary relationship to the surrounding reality
- Exhibiting classical attitude to his victims (animals, empty or imaginary beings)
- Thoughtful, not much defiant for the victims (no interaction or intimidation used)
- Capable of making a cool calculation, impulsive only when he can afford it (no self-confidence in stressful situations)
- Not acting under the influence of the moment, but after he planned his modus operandi (APD - calculative type)
- Preferring the attack by surprise (giving him an additional advantage over the victim/s)
- System of the victims selection: mixed or completely random
- The victim completely unknown to him or known only "by sight" (which also may have been, for example, because he lived nearby the crime site/s)
- Individual somewhat influenced by mass culture (and therefore to some extent interested in theater, film, music, books etc.)

Psychological profile drawn on the basis of my own observations and thoughts related to the Zodiac crimes, as well as his communications with the media and law enforcement.

Feel free to comment & post your own thoughts.

Level 5

Re: The Zodiac's psychological profile

Postby Lucifer's Angel » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:41 am

Physical Description (circa 1969)
No older than thirty-five. I'd run with 'late twenties'.
Anywhere between five-eight and six-two. I'd run with 'about five-ten'.
Heavyset, with a minimum weight of 180 pounds.
Reddish-brown hair.
Glasses.

Background
Definitely lettered up to high school; extensive college education unlikely. Possible learning disorder.
Some military experience, possibly 'encouraged' to enlist after gaining a juvenile record. Did not see combat, and possibly did not even complete enlistment/training. My guess is Air Force ground crewman.
Avid outdoorsman - probably liked to hunt game.
Technical aptitude. Blue-collar worker, perhaps mechanic or technician; worked several jobs in different places.
Bummed about California for a bit prior to settling down in Bay Area and commencing main killing spree.
Left home early; maintained little to no contact with family.

Psych Profile
Loner, with possible history of childhood rejection, ill-treatment (very possibly in school, at the hands of his peers) and romantic disappointments. Probably never married.
May have had over-achieving older siblings, to whom he was always compared.
Problems with authority - poor or abusive relationship with father figure, perhaps. May have led to gaining a juvenile record, being given boot from boot camp and/or given sack from job.
Raised very strictly and conservatively, but harboring anarchist/counter-culture leanings. Caught between these two spheres and unable to fit into either one, leading to frustrating sense of isolation.
Emotionally immature; manic-depressive.
Inferiority and persecution complexes.
Very rich imagination, overrun with savage fantasies of revenge and grandiosity.
Possibly underwent psychiatric treatment in the period 1971-1974, leading to rehabilitation and remission of homicidal tendencies.
"If Ed Neil can participate here anonymously, so can I."

- Yours truly

Level 4

Postby Gindodawg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:41 am

entropy wrote:
duckking2001 wrote:I disagree with LA's notion that he was counter cultural. Other than his dislike of police and mention of peace sign buttons, I don't see a connection there and nothing in his writing implied that it was politically motivated. His immaturity, especially about sex, would seem to me to indicate a more conservative leaning and that was also reflected in his appearance, unless it really was a disguise. I would think if he had an interest in the "counter-culture" it would only be because he was envious of popular youth culture and social grouping.

You bring up a really interesting dichotomy there, duckking, that I think is worth exploring further. Was Z part of the Bay Area counterculture, disgusted by it or indifferent to it? I don't think there was anything feigned about Z's dislike for police but that doesn't necessarily reflect anything about his political views (or lack of them) and he doesn't really express any overt political leanings one way or another.

Zodiac wore Wingwalker boots but apparently had long hair at Lake Berryessa. A few weeks later, he had a crewcut. He couldn't accurately represent a peace sign. Which is the real Z and is it possible that he was attempting to manipulate his own "psychological profile"?

Entropy, I'm not sure what you mean about him not being able to make a peace sign. Would you please explain further or give me a thread where that has been discussed? Thank you. G

Level 5

Postby traveller1st » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Gindodawg wrote:
entropy wrote:
duckking2001 wrote:I disagree with LA's notion that he was counter cultural. Other than his dislike of police and mention of peace sign buttons, I don't see a connection there and nothing in his writing implied that it was politically motivated. His immaturity, especially about sex, would seem to me to indicate a more conservative leaning and that was also reflected in his appearance, unless it really was a disguise. I would think if he had an interest in the "counter-culture" it would only be because he was envious of popular youth culture and social grouping.

You bring up a really interesting dichotomy there, duckking, that I think is worth exploring further. Was Z part of the Bay Area counterculture, disgusted by it or indifferent to it? I don't think there was anything feigned about Z's dislike for police but that doesn't necessarily reflect anything about his political views (or lack of them) and he doesn't really express any overt political leanings one way or another.

Zodiac wore Wingwalker boots but apparently had long hair at Lake Berryessa. A few weeks later, he had a crewcut. He couldn't accurately represent a peace sign. Which is the real Z and is it possible that he was attempting to manipulate his own "psychological profile"?

Entropy, I'm not sure what you mean about him not being able to make a peace sign. Would you please explain further or give me a thread where that has been discussed? Thank you. G

I think Entropy is referring to the 'attempt' Zodiac made at drawing a peace sign on the inside of the 'Dragon Card'.
"I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb."

Level 5

Postby LIVE55 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:07 pm

I've always had a 'gut feel' that Z was 'caught between 2 cultures' -- By this I mean too old to relate to the Hippy movement, and too anti-social to relate to the 'Eisenhauer
era' '50s. although I do believe he came of age during the 50s. (age 30-35 in 69)

The blue meanies and other such references were an attempt to sound 'hip' imo. I think Z was somewhat of a 'nerd', albeit a Blue-Collar nerd...if that makes any sense at all. :?

Level 3

Postby Sam » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:41 pm

entropy wrote:It's been cited as evidence of Zodiac's unfamiliarity with the counterculture

Can't see how come is it lame.

LIVE55,
Yes, it does make sense and I have a similar notion about it (regarding the whole msg, but mostly its 2nd part).

New

Postby The Sol » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:45 am

Interesting...

He exaggerate's and he was a liar.

We need to ask ourselves how does somebody become an exaggerater and a liar, What makes such a person, In my opinion this is a massive clue in which I have explored.

Childhood makes us what we are, by examining what kind of person he is and then asking ourselves how did he get like this produces a wondrous array of information, I come to the theory...

he was sodomised...

From a young age he would have told stories and children would believe him, Years went by and he had very little Influence from people older then he was, Something changed could have been moving to foster parents, these foster parents abused him , He would have been in between 6 - 11 years old, he need's certain knowledge to understand what was happening.

He tried to tell people and no one would believe him because of his exaggerating and constant lying, This has a devastating effect on him, also this dude is a beacon for sexual predators, I think in theory he told the wrong person and they began to abuse him.

All this creating his hatred and rage, this dude is pretty smart and at some point he blamed society hence the need to terrorise.
Monsters are adults forged by childhood.
http://the-zodiac-killer-my-profile.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Michael Butterfield » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Sam wrote:Childhood makes us what we are, by examining what kind of person he is and then asking ourselves how did he get like this produces a wondrous array of information, I come to the theory... he was sodomised...

While I understand the temptation to invent a theory to answer unanswered questions, you should know that there is no credible evidence whatsoever to support your theory. It's really just a guess, and, it ignores the fact that the overwhelming majority of people who are abused as children do not become criminals, rapists or killers. And, if decades of studying killers has taught me anything it's that the answer is never that simple.
Catch updates and more on Twitter.com @TheZodiacFACTS

Return to The Investigation