Register

J C Higgens Model 80 Auto Rifle

Moderators: Michael Butterfield, Aud8us

metaltomato

Re: J C Higgens Model 80 Auto Rifle

Postby metaltomato » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Zsearcher wrote:A few points

A pistol is never as accurate as a rifle. There just isn't enough distance to build up a spin. A .22 bullet will tumble more than spin coming out of a pistol. It's sort of like throwing a football. The better and tighter the spiral the more accurate the throw.

The ammo (.22LR) is used in all types of guns, so I doubt the police mistook the long rifle ammo to mean the gun was a rifle.

Also .22 bullets deform a lot so it's hard to determine what kind of gun they come from some times.

I have a pistol that takes .22LR. I was told to not try to shoot anyone further than 8 feet away with it, to not shoot it at anyone who would be big enough to hit me after being shot since it's not a powerful weapon, and also that .22s tend to bounce around instead of penetrating and passing through a target. I got these instructions from gun experts so I can't vouch for the veracity of these claims personally. Thankfully I haven't needed to yet.

Zs

I'm not really sure what the disagreement is here.

Just to quibble; A target pistol is a very accurate weapon at short range (up to 50 or so yards).
LE DID initially conclude the weapon used was a rifle.
.22L is commonly used in pistols, but is designated as rifle ammo...for rifles.
Clearly the .22 pistol DID prove to very deadly.

Bently

Postby Bently » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Zsearcher wrote:I have trouble with a rifle killing Faraday, but have trouble with a pistol killing Jensen.
Zs

I'm no weapons expert Zs, why do you have trouble with a rifle and Faraday?

Bently

Postby Bently » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:34 pm

From the YB page 6:

"As David slid across the seat and turned his head to get out, the man reached through the open window and pressed the gun behind the upper part of the boys left ear and pulled the trigger."

metaltomato

Postby metaltomato » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:05 pm

:text-threadjacked: :text-offtopic:

Level 5

Postby smithy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:25 am

To go back to the "rifle" (and this is as good a place as any I hope), this site's new to me, with an interesting series of insights on the pistol.
http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2009/01/j ... oader.html

I'd presumed that the .22 in question was reasonably contemporary to the crimes - apparently not necessarily so. (Although of course it could well have been acquired second hand).
The "field strip" capabliity I find interesting too - and lastly, I hadn't imagined that it would be quite such a sophisticated pistol - which it also seems to be. And accurate.

Previous

Return to Ballistics & Weaponry