Register

"Proposed" 340 cipher solutions

Moderators: Michael Butterfield, Aud8us

Level 5

Re: "Proposed" 340 cipher solutions

Postby aquiman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:00 am

doranchak wrote:I thought Harriette Sucher (catseye) had a "solution", but I can't find it.

Thank you.

Level 5

Postby smithy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:10 am

This is now, officially, my least favourite thread.

Level 1

Postby linda » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Here's the link to AK's solution of the 340 (the link above was to the Mt. Diablo Code):

http://unazod.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36&start=150

Level 3

Postby Solid » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:13 am

doranchak wrote:I thought Harriette Sucher (catseye) had a "solution", but I can't find it.

http://www.jacktarrance.net/id15.html
Enjoy, it makes no sense at all.

Level 5

Postby aquiman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:02 am

And let's not forget the wonderful binary/morse "solutions" proposed by Penn and perpetuated by Grant. :lol: Sorry... can't find it in me to post a link.

Level 5

Postby aquiman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Zsearcher wrote:I kept scrolling and scrolling until I reached the deep recesses of Catseye's mind. I've been staring blankly into space and drooling ever since. Someone help me!

Wow Zs... it's like staring at Medusa. Your brain has turned to stone. Farewell.

Level 3

Postby Solid » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:40 am

She claims that those symbols are solution I guess.

Level 4

Postby Princein » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Zabagliona wrote:At the risk of repeating a huge discussion I do not know about....any chance the 340 is a Vigenere ciper with the "keyword" being something OTHER than Zodiac?

I've been trying with the keyword being "mynameis". Don't know if it works or not, I'll freely admit I'm in way over my head.

Level 3

Postby 4on4off » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Zabagliona wrote:At the risk of repeating a huge discussion I do not know about....any chance the 340 is a Vigenere ciper with the "keyword" being something OTHER than Zodiac?

Some time ago, on another board, Glurk was kind enough to give his reasoning why the 340 is not encoded using this method.

I do not recall the extent of it but it convinced me at the time and holds to this day.

New

Postby jeffsmusic » Fri May 11, 2012 1:52 pm

I was looking at the ciphers several years ago and after reading all these attempts at solutions, I came to the conclusion that they all seemed to be overly complicated. The more complication you put into something the more possible results. It's probably why there are so many "Solutions" about.

I've made a number of puzzles in the past. Some of them remain unsolved. Which amuses me because the principle behind them is quite simple. I tried to apply this when looking at the 340. I came up with something interesting. It's not a solution, but maybe a good starting point if anybody is interested in pursuing it.

I do know that opinion about this cipher is that it may be double encoded and that's where I started. If the Zodiac wanted this to be solved (and I believe he did) then I don't think that he would have created two sets of keys representing letters. It would be near impossible. So how about offsetting the characters using co-ordinates and then applying the key used in the 408.

Using this logic I assumed that if it was offset by co-ordinates or map movements, there would be instances where there were straight lines for a few letters. Maybe I didn't explain it that well. What I mean is moving about on graph paper in an adaptive differential fashion. A bit like an ADPCM audio file, but backwards as well. These numbers would be shown as something like +1,+3,-2,-4 etc (the first number representing movement horizontal and the second vertical). So a straight line would be like +2,-2,+2,-2.

I applied the original cipher key then applied offsets. First +1,+1,+1 etc. Then +1,-1,+1,-1 etc. I covered all combinations up to +25,-25. Giving me straight lines at 25 different angles.

As simple as I could explain it. Just those two steps. After browsing the results I found words in different places but none of any interest. Except when I applied the offset of +4,-4 etc. After doing this the third line read:

H KZDIEIWIJLPPZXB

The space is a character that doesn't appear in the first cipher. What's interesting here is position 5 to 12 which reads "DIEIWIJL" Something that appeared in the first code (without the J of course).

As I said I used the original key and and offset. My guess is that there is some sort of diagram or map line drawing that can be used with the original key to solve this.

Maybe someone would like to look further down this route.

As to the contents of the 340. I don't think it's going to reveal anything that will lead to the identity of the Zodiac. I have my reasons for thinking this.

Anyway. That's my two pennies on this one :grin:

Return to November 8, 1969: The 340-symbol Cipher