Register

IDENTITY CRISIS

Moderators: Michael Butterfield, Aud8us

Re: IDENTITY CRISIS

Postby Michael Butterfield » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:44 am

One more thing:

Ricardo wrote: "It is a fact that as of August 15, 2010, the Riverside Police Department has never announced any solution to the Patricia Hautz mystery."

I hate to disappoint anyone, but there never will be an announcement from the RPD about this, and, I would wager that there will never be another announcement about the Bates case, period, coming from this department. The RPD has ZERO interest in discussing the Hautz letter and had no interest in my information whatsoever. They couldn't care less about these anonymous messages, even the ones which their own department initially concluded had been written by the killer. As far as they are concerned, they solved this case decades ago, they have their suspect, and that's that. They're not interested in exploring or discussing alternative theories or suspects, they don't want to hear the word "Zodiac" ever again, and they certainly don't want any "assistance" from anyone in the online community. In short, the RPD made its bed a long time and is fast asleep.

More than a decade ago, I called the RPD to get information about the Bates case and spoke with Det. Steve Shumway. When I identified myself, he said, "Is this the same Michael Butterfield who wrote this article I have in front of me?" (paraphrased). The detective wasn't pleased with my statements regarding the obvious apathy of his department regarding ANY alternative theory, let alone the theorized Zodiac connection (either to the letters or the Bates murder). In order to convince me that he knew all about this and had the case in the bag, Shumway told me that Bates was the victim of a "rage killing" which he compared to the murder of Nicole Brown Simpson. He said that the crime was an act of personal rage by someone who had known Bates and was angry with her. In support of this theory, Shumway claimed that Bates had been stabbed 42 times. As anyone who reads the Bates autopsy report can attest, that report does not support Shumway's claim-- by ANY stretch of the imagination. So, one is left to ponder Shumway's statements.

Then, the RPD tested the hair found on Bates' thumb and, according to reports, the DNA from that hair did not match the DNA of their suspect. In the years since I spoke with Shumway in 1999, I have learned a great deal about the evidence said to implicate their suspect. At best, this evidence can only be considered tenuous if not questionable; at worst, it seems laughable. Virtually everything about the case against this suspect flies in the face of the information gathered and reported by the RPD at the time of the murder and in the years that followed. Suddenly, when they have a suspect, they abandoned all of the previously held positions and claims by the RPD-- and without any attempt to explain the change or the obvious contradictions. It's as if the RPD just forgot their own history on this case in favor of a more preferable version of events once they had a suspect. Since the DNA comparison failed to implicate their suspect, the Bates case has remained unsolved, and the RPD's actions and statements remain inexplicable.

I know that I am just a writer and researcher, and that I have not worked as a homicide investigator. However, that does not mean that I am not capable of exercising common sense, recognizing contradictions, examining evidence, separating fact from fiction, and more. The RPD may not be interested in my opinions, the results of my research (even when it debunks a major theory about their own unsolved case), or my criticisms of their work on this case. That's fine-- I understand that. But, that doesn't make the questions go away, nor does it make their position seem any more reasonable than before. I believe that the RPD has gone down the wrong road, and therefore it's no surprise that they remain stuck in a dead-end with a bad suspect and no resolution to this case. When you take a wrong turn, you either turn around and head back in the right direction, or you stay lost. In my opinion, the RPD is never going to solve this case as long as they cling to their pet suspect/theory, and, therefore, the RPD will never make any announcement about the Bates case because the only announcement they would make is that this case has been solved.

Level 5

Postby Lucifer's Angel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:17 pm

I have no problem believing that the letter was really written by Patricia Hautz. What makes me uncomfortable is the possibility that she might actually know something helpful. It's just a gut feeling; I can't explain it.

Postby Michael Butterfield » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:09 pm

Patricia Hautz has no knowledge that would help this case or the Bates case. She just wrote a letter. End of story.

Postby Michael Butterfield » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Tom Voigt is having a nervous breakdown for all the world to see because he is losing his "livelihood," and his mind. After I accurately noted that he was simply exploiting this case for his own gain, that he is using this tragedy to serve himself, that he has been misleading the families of the victims and the public, and that he is conning the public out of their money with the bogus claim that he is using it to conduct research when he is really begging for money to pay his bills, Voigt proved that I was right by releasing a podcast in which he begs for money, announces that he is charging $20 bucks for access to his lie-casts, and, believe it or not, he actually admits that he is using the money donated to his site to pay his bills.

This man is sick. He is the most deranged and dishonest person I have ever known. And he is lying about every single thing he says (and that can be easily proven if anyone bothers to pay attention). Now, he is panhandling, begging for money to pay his bills, and distributing the most vile and pathetic "podcasts" in a desperate attempt to salvage his permanently damaged reputation and his fading "livelihood." ANY person who charges money for this kind of garbage is seriously disturbed. I find it difficult to believe that any sane individual would pay $20 bucks just to listen to Tom Voigt have a nervous breakdown.

And, the notion that I conducted this research and posted my findings as an attack on Voigt and his fraud friend Howard Davis is just laughable. In Voigt's world, it's all about him. He doesn't seem to realize that it has nothing to do with him, and the only reason he and Davis were mentioned at all is that neither one of them ever bothered to do their own research or even use common sense before posting that envelope and claiming it was mailed in April 1967. Anyone who takes five seconds to examine that envelope would reach a different conclusion, but, as we have seen so many times in the past, Voigt can't be bothered to check his facts because he's too busy spending all of his time slandering others, defaming others, smearing others, accusing others without evidence, promoting frauds, and begging for money.

Level 5

Postby smithy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:32 am

Michael Butterfield wrote:".....I find it difficult to believe that any sane individual would pay $20 bucks just to listen to Tom Voigt have a nervous breakdown..."

Hmm, wait a minute, lets not rush this. Does that offer come with a guarantee?

Level 5

Postby smithy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:04 pm

Zsearcher wrote:I thought they were written on paper that could be folded.

Ha ha! Point.

Ricardo's the guy who came back super-quick on the amendment to the door photo, no?
Seemed like a heck of a good guy, from what I remember second-hand.

FoolsGold

Postby FoolsGold » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:49 pm

This man is sick. He is the most deranged and dishonest person I have ever known. And he is lying about every single thing he says (and that can be easily proven if anyone bothers to pay attention). Now, he is panhandling, begging for money to pay his bills, and distributing the most vile and pathetic "podcasts" in a desperate attempt to salvage his permanently damaged reputation and his fading "livelihood." ANY person who charges money for this kind of garbage is seriously disturbed. I find it difficult to believe that any sane individual would pay $20 bucks just to listen to Tom Voigt have a nervous breakdown.

That statement petty well sums up the feelings and impressions experienced by many people close to this case, either academically or emotionally.

I think it took me about five minutes (honestly) to determine that Voigt is nothing but a sick, warped parasitic ghoul. He has no interest in solving this case, only in serving his own selfish monetary needs by exploiting the victims. He's so desperate for fame and wealth, he'd sell out his father as the Zodiac if he thought anyone would believe his claims.

As he's still pushing the "Manson connection", it would seems that's not the only thing Howard has a hard time dropping.

Davis is a complete nut. You can't watch the man for ten minutes and not come away with the impression he's a seriously irrational person. People like him, Betts and Voigt, the 'mainstreamers', do considerable damage to this case, and I find their lack of professionalism, integrity and logic an affront to the code and concept of true investigatorial methodology.

Level 5

Postby Lucifer's Angel » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:06 am

Michael Butterfield wrote:Patricia Hautz has no knowledge that would help this case or the Bates case. She just wrote a letter. End of story.

I don't mean to be rude, Mike, but unless you or somebody else actually questioned her about the matter and found that to be the case, you can't make such an assumption.

Postby Michael Butterfield » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:50 am

I asked her many questions-- most of the questions that I believe anyone else would expect, and then some. She knew nothing, she had nothing to add, and she knew of nothing to indicate otherwise. That's the best anyone can do, and I hope that people are reasonable enough to realize as much.

Level 5

Postby Lucifer's Angel » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:58 am

Understood, Mike - thanks for clarifying. Pardon me, but I still cannot rule out the possibility that she might have been less than forthright with you, your interviewing skills notwithstanding. I appreciate, however, that you did your best.

PreviousNext

Return to Cheri Jo Bates