Register

IDENTITY CRISIS

Moderators: Michael Butterfield, Aud8us

IDENTITY CRISIS

Postby Michael Butterfield » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:44 am

I have posted a new blog entry for anyone interested in the issues surrounding the still-unsolved murder of Cheri Jo Bates in Riverside, titled IDENTITY CRISIS.

Bently

Re: IDENTITY CRISIS

Postby Bently » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:38 am

Agreed. Nice to see the puzzle pieces come together so well.

I do have one lingering thought: Does Pat Hautz know anything about the "Pacific High School Zodiac", the one mentioned in the yellow book and in a thread here someplace, the fellow who appears in the same yearbooks with her (one online copy with Zodiac written next to his name) and iirc lived a block or two away from Pat? And if she does remember him, does she remember him going by Zodiac in school, or was it all a big frame up? Quite a coincidence that these two pieces of Z history would end up being so closely related location wise. Perhaps Michael can ask her, if he hasn't already done so.

Paul_Averly

Postby Paul_Averly » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:05 am

I do have one lingering thought: Does Pat Hautz know anything about the "Pacific High School Zodiac"

I had the same question.
But GOOD JOB! I'm glad someone finally spoke with PH, and in a non-harassing way.

This thread about Zode is here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=601

Level 5

Postby smithy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:13 am

First class, Mr Butterfield, many thanks.

Level 4

Postby speedy1 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Good work Michael. Sometimes persistance does pay off..

Level 4

Postby jeff » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:12 pm

It's reassuring to learn that the simplest solution was the correct one. Perhaps a lesson we can apply to other mysteries surrounding this case.

Anyways, good job!

New

Postby sgough » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Good work Michael. I have to say I was intrigued by the letter and the claimed San Bernardino Pacific High School student who named himself Zodiac.

Level 4

Postby speedy1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Bullitt wrote:Excellent work as always, Michael! I don't think there's any doubt left as to who wrote the Hautz letter, it's basically a dead end that has no relevance to the case other than it happened to be written by a young woman about an unsolved murder that has been linked to Z.

Precisely.

Postby Michael Butterfield » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:41 pm

You know, this is ALL very silly. Howard Davis published his book in 1997, and anyone who had that book has had that envelope since then, so I don't understand why anyone referred to it as "new" years later.

I'm not in this to get credit, and I don't care who gets the credit-- all I cared about was getting the facts.

One quote was particularly disturbing: "There may not be any way to prove to everyone´s satisfaction that the person who communicated with Butterfield is not someone else pretending to be Hautz."

This is pure insanity. So, let's get this straight. They think it's possible I was talking to an impostor? Here's the facts:

* I received information from a source who knew Patricia Hautz in the late 1960s. That person gave me information regarding her name, background, family, and more.

* I used that information to track down a person-- a person NAMED Patricia Hautz, not someone who TOLD me they were Patricia Hautz.

* I obtained independent verification of this person's identity, via sources which would be accepted by ANYONE with common sense, namely, public records, phone listings, etc.

* I called the person NAMED Patricia Hautz.

* That person confirmed that she was actually Patricia Hautz, an obvious fact.

* That person confirmed the information given to me by the first source, without any knowledge of what the first source told me. Then, when I did name that source, Patricia confirmed that she knew him, and confirmed his information.

* Patricia provided samples of her own writing, which just happened to match the envelope. It's important to note that this person did so without me asking for the samples, and did so within a very, very short period of time after our initial phone contact.

* This person then gave me permission to post this information that she was the author, and then asked me to protect her privacy.

So, in order to accept this impostor theory as even plausible, one must also believe some ridiculous conspiracy theory in which the first source and the Hautz imposter were in on this from the beginning (when, in truth, they hadn't spoken in decades), and these people conspired to mislead me, to forge documents, and more. And, that this person managed to get a phone listed in their name as part of the conspiracy, too? And managed to get property listed in their name, too? And, this person did all this for what reason? To mess with my head? Certainly not for attention, as she wants none.

I'd like to believe that Ricardo is too smart to even entertain this absurd conspiracy theory, and can accept the obvious fact that I not only contacted A Patricia Hautz, not just an authentic Patricia Hautz, but THE Patricia Hautz. I'd like to believe that Ricardo was just stating the obvious-- namely, that some people are so obsessed and delusional that they refuse to deal with reality, especially when reality interferes with their pet theories and beliefs. I knew there would be people who would resist the truth (there always are), but this is just silly. My God. Enough is enough. It's over-- just accept it and move on.

Postby Michael Butterfield » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Zsearcher wrote:Maybe you're not the real Mike Butterfield, and this is all a big hoax.

Could be. With this case, you never know. In fact, I could be Patricia Hautz herself, in cahoots with the Zodiac killer, engaged in some massive conspiracy to fool everyone...

Not that it matters, but, for the record, I didn't need any assistance, and I didn't need to consult the prior research of anyone else. I just focused on the facts and followed them to her door. It was that simple, and, given the information I had, anyone could have done it, and without any prior research info. It just happened to be me that got this information, and I got lucky. But, anyone could have done it, and, had they done so, I'd be thanking them for clearing up this minor mystery for us.

And, I'd like to add that Chris Yarbrough did nothing to "assist" in this research. I tried to contact him to confirm some information attributed to him, but he never responded. He is apparently among those few deluded souls who believes that I have somehow wronged Tom Voigt, or, whatever excuse he's embraced. I guess Yarbrough is too busy mocking Dennis Kaufman on his message board, too busy praising Voigt, and too busy splattering his "ZodiacKillerTruth.com" watermark on every single document in his possession to actually "assist" anyone conducting legitimate research and looking for answers.

A lot of people did help me, by acting as sounding boards, offering advice, and more. I'd like to thank Bently for being one of those people. Thanks, Bently. Your assistance and just the fact that you were willing to listen is greatly appreciated.

Next

Return to Cheri Jo Bates